Despite the support of the Depute Lord Provost, the busy diary of official engagements demands additional support from time to time from the five Bailies, by deputising when required at civic, ceremonial functions and events, such as:
- Represent the Council and promote the City;
- Meet, host and entertain organisations and individuals from all backgrounds and all corners of the globe;
- In a large gathering such as a conference, reception or dinner, make a speech of welcome to Edinburgh on behalf of the City and the Council or reply to the Toast to the City;
- Meet and mingle with as many people as possible at events;
- Be identifiable by wearing the appropriate civic insignia.